And the winners of the 2011 .INFO Awards are ...
Afilias is excited to announce the winners of the 2011 .INFO Awards, highlighting some of the best .INFO sites of the past year. The final scores were calculated from both a public vote and judges' scores to arrive at the three winners.
First place goes to www.trafalgarsquare.info, a website out of Bulgaria celebrating the world-famous London landmark. Second place belongs to www.typografie.info, a German-language website community of people interested in graphic design and typography. Third place is awarded to www.frauenundhiv.info, a German website for women interested in learning more about or living with HIV/AIDS. Judge Anand Parthasarathy said, "I found www.frauenundhiv.info to be a model of its kind: friendly information and advice, neatly organized and displayed without visual flourishes. I can imagine how useful this would be for all who need to explore the subject of women and HIV in the privacy of their own homes."
Dozens of sites were submitted from 17 countries for this year's awards. Entry categories covered include personal websites (28 percent), business websites (27 percent), non-profit websites (15 percent) and blogs (10 percent).
The 2011 panel of judges from the online, media and technology industries included:
- Dominik Grollmann, editor in chief, Internet World Business (Germany)
- Peter Prestipino, editor in chief, Website Magazine (US)
- Liam Eagle, editor in chief, The Web Host Industry Review (Canada)
- Anand Parthasarathy, editor, IndiaTechOnline.com (India)
- Katy Tafoya, creator and editor, ConstantChatter.com (US)
- Daljit Bhurji, Managing Director, Diffusion PR (UK)
- Philipp Grabensee, chairman of the board, Afilias (Germany)
Prizes for the .INFO awards are US$10,000 for the first-place winner, US$5,000 for second place, and US$3,000 for third place. And in conjunction with the announcement of the award winners, five voters will be chosen at random to receive an Amazon Kindle Fire tablet. The winners of the .INFO awards and the Kindle Fires will be contacted individually to arrange receipt of their prizes.